Saturday, January 2, 2021

Nothing but horses, ink stains, and novel castles ~ A Little Women book review

 


Started: 11.2.20

Finished: 12.28.20

Rating 5/5

I finally read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott! Now I see why this book is classic. Reading this, I felt like I was reconnecting with distant relatives. The author succeeds in inviting readers to become a part of the March family as they navigate the ups and downs over the span of a year. By the end of the story the growth for readers equals that of the characters. I am beyond delighted that there are three more books that continue the story!

I started reading the Kindle version of this story and, once I knew it would be a favorite, I looked for a print copy and found a keepsake reproduction of the classic books as seen in the 2019 film! This edition includes beautiful black and white photos from the movie!

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

“There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.” (p.40) We shouldn’t take people for granted.

“I don’t envy her much, in spite of her money, for after all rich people have about as many worries as poor ones, I think,” Jo March, (p.42) True, money can’t buy happiness.

“How they all laughed at her because [Beth] woke Amy in the night by playing the piano on her face in her sleep.” (p.57) This made me laugh. I can totally see this happening with my siblings.

“for love casts out fear,” (p.61) God is love <3

“and led by her mother’s hand, she had drawn nearer to the Friend who always welcomes every child with a love stronger than that of any father, tenderer than that of any mother.” (p.78) God’s love is like no other.

“I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good. To be admired, loved, and respected. To have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send. To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience. It is natural to think of it, Meg, right to hope and wait for it, and wise to prepare for it, so that when the happy time comes, you may feel ready for the duties and worthy of the joy. Money is a needful and precious thing-and when well used, a noble thing-but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I’d rather see you poor men’s wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace. Make this home happy, so that you may be fit for homes of your own, if they are offered you, and contented here if they are not.” (p.93) The simple beauty of a mother’s wish.

“How they laughed when the secret came out, never dreaming how many love letters that little post office would hold in the years to come.” (p.104) I love the allusion to these future romances.

“Put him in the oven, and maybe he will get warm and revive,” said Amy hopefully.” (p.111) Awww, she tried to help at least.

“Then there was a hunt for the key, which was at last discovered in his pocket,” (p.136) Lost items are always in the last place we look.

“You’d have nothing but horses, inkstands, and novels in yours,” (p.139) Sounds like a dream castle to me.

“There, I’ve done my best! If this won’t suit I shall have to wait till I can do better.” (p.143) What an optimistic view!

“November is the most disagreeable month in the whole year,” said Margaret, standing at the window one dull afternoon, looking out at the frostbitten garden. “That’s the reason I was born in it,” observed Jo pensively, quite unconscious of the blot on her nose. “If something very pleasant should happen now, we should think it a delightful month,” said Beth, who took a hopeful view of everything, even November.” (p.152) Beth’s and Jo’s responses are awesome!

“Mrs. March put the note in the fire, the money in her purse,” (p.156) Go Mrs. March! No time for negative nonsense.

“strong and tender Friend, whose fatherly love most closely surrounds His little children.” (p.186) No greater friend than the Lord.

Poll, I think is my favorite character. I look forward to reading the final three stories in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment