Sunday, January 3, 2021

Misfit ~The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus book review



Started: 11.2.20

Finished: 1.3.20

Rating 4/5

Although I enjoy Christian fiction, historical time slips, I have never been a huge fan of circus themes. Knowing this, I would have never selected to read the latest release from Jamie Jo Wright on my own. When I received a copy in a Faith and Fiction book box release, I was hopeful I would enjoy this highly recommended book and author.

Unfortunately, it was a slow start for me. To be fair I was reading five books at once, so I may have been distracted. The pace of the story did not pick up until around 200 pages in. By this time, I realized what the book lacked for me. Not only was the author too descriptive, but there were no characters I connected with. I was far enough along, though, that I wanted to finish. The ending was exciting, unexpected, and what overall redeemed the book for me.

Jamie Jo Wright is an award-winning writer; whose talent is evident. This story just wasn’t really my type of read. I am not anxious to read another by this author (a new one for me) any time soon, but I may try another of her books in the future. Although, many of this author’s other works sound pretty similar to this story only placed in other settings.

As for The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus, I may shelve my copy and give it another try later on. There are other books I have read before that I disliked more than this one and loved upon re-reading.

If you have read this book, what were your thoughts? Did you enjoy any of the author’s other books better?



No comments:

Post a Comment