Tuesday, March 30, 2021

“I don’t need fancy. I just need you,” ~ Book Review for Love on the Prarie


~

 “Abigail McKinnie and her six sisters huddled together for the last time. Ashes and debris littered the floor of their half-demolished home, the smell of burned wood, gunpowder, and Yankee stench still haunting the air. Everything was gone. Not just their possessions, but their dreams, too.

The opening scene of this story immediately connected me with the characters, making me want to learn more about what tragedies they had lived through and where their journeys would take them. The bond of sisters is like no other and the author established that bond beautifully from the beginning. Being the oldest of four siblings, it was easy for me to relate to Abigail and understand the love and sense of responsibility that drove her to the prairies to provide a safe home for her sisters.

A short ceremony, with no words and no tears, but full of sadness.”

Owen’s introduction alludes to his own difficult past. Both leading characters, though flawed, are likable and relatable.  The remainder of the story follows Abigail and Owen as they battle the dangers of prairie life and the feelings they are developing for each other.

“Abigail stumbled down the hill, both her feet flaming lumps of pain.

Although I laughed at this, I sympathized with her pain.

This book started out as a fast 5/5. However, the story became a little rushed towards the middle and end. The hurried pace affected the quality of writing, dropping my final rating to a 4.4 overall.

I did like how the story ended. The second book in the series is next on my list.

“When their lips parted, she felt she’d given part of herself to him forever. Hope emerged through the ashes of sorrow and for the first time, she believed in happiness.

“I don’t need fancy. I just need you,”

No comments:

Post a Comment